Concern or complaint

At Funtazia, every parent and/or guardian who has any concern or complaint has the right to raise them and expect that every effort will be made to resolve it in accordance to our policy.

Parents who have a concern are encouraged to discuss the matter with the child care giver of the child. If these concerns are not satisfactorily addressed, parents may then refer the matter to the manager of Funtazia.

If parents remain unhappy with the response/actions, the concern will be referred to the Funtazia complaint committee. A complaint form is available at the following link:

Complaint form